Wednesday, June 14, 2006


Cabot United Methodist


Cabot Methodist was my first real connection to Methodism on any real ongoing basis. My mothers parents went to First Methodist Houston, TX(The mega church of the time) & I had a few other friends & relatives that went to Methodist churches.

Cabot being a small surburban/farming town evolving into a "white flight" bedroom town Cabot United Methodist was the only show in town for someone that was remotely Mainline Protestant. Back then they didn't even have a Presbyterian Church. 1 Methodist, 1 Penticostal, 1 Church of Christ (Campbelite) and every breed of Baptist known to humanity. I really wonder how a town with under 3,000 could support over a dozen Baptist churches.

Cabot UMC was and is pretty liturgical and open minded. Although I never joined the church I was a constituant and went to UMYF most of the time and to worship ocassionally. I still have some friends at that church. Cabot might have been the end of my Methodist journey except that Carolyn Park made me promise that I would go to a freshman welcome cookout at the Wesley Foundation when I started college. Wesley Foundations were my spiritual home during my college years.

Cabot UMC is a Mega-Church of sorts now and is parenting a 2nd UMC in Cabot.
The new UMC start is Christ UMC, Cabot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home