Friday, May 26, 2006

Reconciling groups in Arkansas!

I had really wanted to blog about this a couple of weeks ago when a representative of
The Reconciling Ministries Network was in Little Rock. She spoke at 4 events at three different UMC churches.

The Methodist Federation for Social Action of Arkansas is already a Reconciling Community. I was quite surprised at how many churches were represented at the events. I know Quapaw Quarter United Methodist had already discussed becoming a Reconciling Congregation a couple of years ago but had chosen to wait and study before voting to become one. QQUMC may well vote to become an official Reconciling Congregation in at our next charge conference.

Other groups may be affiliated with the Reconciling Ministries Network such as Sunday School Classes. Arkansas may or may not gain any Reconciling Congregations this year but I have no doubt that there will be at least 4 Reconciling Sunday School classes before the end of the year.
(maybe 2 Sunday School classes and one Reconciling Congregation). There are 2 Sunday School classes at QQUMC that will be Reconciling classes if the entire church doesn't officially become reconciling. There are two vibrant Sunday School classes at other churches that are ready to make the move. One of the classes didn't surprise me because I know some of the people that attend the class and it is at the second largest UMC in Little Rock. I was quite surprised to discover that there is a class at a congregation that I had thought was rather conservative that wants to be first.

It appears that Central Arkansas Methodism is more progressive than I had realized. I know that the UMC in Central Arkansas has a long history of being socially active and mission oriented and is more liberal than most other denominations in the area but the amount of interest quite surprised me! I was also quite surprised to find as many people from surrounding smaller cities & towns in attendance at the meetings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home