Friday, March 31, 2006

John 3:17

Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. NRSV

OR

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. KJV

John 3:16 is fine, we see it all the time on signs at football games. I wonder why we don't see signs with John 3:17.

Sometimes one verse Christianity can be quite annoying. I really don't know how we can get the full message without including the surrounding verses. I think a lot of bad theology comes from people not reading the entire pericope.

From Wikpedia

A pericope (pur-IC-op-ee) (Greek περικοπη, "a cutting-out") in rhetoric is a set of verses which form one coherent unit or thought, thus forming a short passage suitable for public reading from a text, now usually of sacred scripture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth Quick said...

Thanks for visiting my site! I'll add you to my blogroll.
Peace,
Beth

12:13 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home